The blog of photographer Kim Ayres

Rain Photo Challenge - and Episode 31 of Understanding Photography with Kim Ayres

The podcast has now been going for 7 months, with a pretty steady format. I start with the story behind a particular photo shoot I was involved in – the who, how and why particular decisions were made – and then move on to the Critique section where people can submit their images for professional feedback.

The only exception to this was Episode 14, back in July, when I did a Camera Club special and judged 20+ photos for 3 local camera clubs that had joined forces online.

Last month, I also did a workshop spread over 4 days for Spring Fling, where each day I set a themed challenge. I was quite blown away by the response – the submission numbers were considerably higher than in my regular podcasts, and there was quite a bit of wonderfully original thought gone in to many of them.

Since then I've been wondering whether to introduce something similar into Understanding Photography with Kim Ayres, and last night I decided to put it into action.

Next week – Episode 32 – will be a Challenge Special on the theme of RAIN.

Anyone who would like to take part can submit their image either to the  Understanding Photography with Kim Ayres Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/240842990388815/

or to the Event Page I've set up:
https://www.facebook.com/events/640699716595191

Ideas include shots of the rain itself (rainy scenes, splashes), the effects of the rain (puddles, reflections, patterns and textures on surfaces) or the reactions to rain (people with umbrellas, or dancing in it).

As with any new idea I am simultaneously excited and terrified.

Excited by the notion that the podcast is evolving, that it will create more participation and interaction, and to see what different kinds of interpretations anyone will come up with.

Terrified by the idea that no one will take part, I will look like an idiot, and another possible future is closed off.

I'm hoping for the former, but taking the risk of the latter.

If it does work, however, I'll probably make it regular part of the podcasts, perhaps having a monthly themed challenge.

If you think you'd like to give it a go, then do submit your image to the FB group or event page, or if you're not on FB, then email me your image and you can watch my response the following day on the YouTube recording, which will also be posted here on this blog.

Meanwhile, here is last night's episode – and if you just want to hear about the Rain Challenge, then skip to 34 minutes and 20 seconds in.

---

0.00 - What's coming up
3.42 - Mad Hatter's Tea Party photo shoot for Castle Douglas High School Young Enterprise Group.
26:00 - How to get notifications of posts and videos in the Facebook group
29:35 - Submitted Halloween Photos
34:20 - Photo Challenge for next week - examples and suggestions: RAIN
50:15 - Critique of images submitted to the Facebook Group, "Understanding Photography with Kim Ayres"
1:18:10 - End

If you found this interesting/useful/entertaining, then please consider supporting these podcasts and blog posts via buymeacoffee.com/kimayres

Also consider subscribing to my YouTube channel - https://www.youtube.com/kimayres – to help me build the numbers.

And, or course, if you would like to submit a photo for feedback, or just ask a photography related question, then do join my Understanding Photography with Kim Ayres  Facebook group and I will put it into the following podcast:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/240842990388815/

No comments

All content copyright of Kim Ayres. Powered by Blogger.