The blog of photographer Kim Ayres

It was a dark and stormy night

It was a dark and stormy night. I had finished attending a storytelling workshop, held in St John’s Town of Dalry, 17 miles North of Castle Douglas. Several weeks of heavy rain and Loch Ken had burst its banks. The road home was closed.

Forced to detour many miles down back lanes I was aware the petrol warning light had been on for quite some time and the gauge was pointing at Empty.

The roads were strewn with broken twigs and fallen branches. Through the lashing rain, the glare of the headlights combined with the constant throbbing of the windscreen wipers was producing a headache of tectonic proportions.

I tried to call home but there was no signal on my mobile phone.

Several miles had passed since I last saw a house showing the slightest sign of occupation.

The scene was set for a terrible tale of calamity, misfortune and possibly death…



But as it happens every thing turned out fine. I arrived home safe and sound just in time for Maggie to dish up a warm and welcoming dinner.

10 comments

Anonymous said...

Phew!

Foot Eater said...

After a build-up like that I was expecting human flesh to be on the menu. Is there a part two?

Anonymous said...

That was a great story....I could totally picture the scene. kewl.
thanks

fatmammycat said...

mmmmmmmwarmfoodonstormywetnightsastic

Anonymous said...

im glad you got home safely kim.

Kim Ayres said...

Kats - indeed!

Foot Eater - We left early this morning for a trip to Ikea in Glasgow, through similar stormy weather. However, sequels rarely match the intensity of the original

Quinn - cheers

FMC - deliciourama

Ben - thank you, and welcome to my ramblings!

Anonymous said...

Sounded like the opening for a Stephen King book, the only differences are it didn't take place in Main and you're still alive.

Glad you made it home safely. So you’re getting a GPS for the holidays:)

Kim Ayres said...

I reckon GPS makes people lazy. I never dirve anywhere without a sextant, compass and chronometer

Anonymous said...

Oh, I know that low fuel feeling. But the detour and all the extras, my that was not a fun trip home at all.

Dr Maroon said...

Oh, you are a one Mr Ayres.
You're a one and no mistake.

All content copyright of Kim Ayres. Powered by Blogger.