The blog of photographer Kim Ayres

The Big Lie of Social Media... and Episode 64 of Understanding Photography with Kim Ayres

Inherent in the narratives we are fed from childhood, and are reinforced at every turn, is the idea that if we have a modicum of talent, and work hard, then it will be recognised and we will be rewarded.

And if we have more than a modicum, and are actually considered to be pretty damn good, then additional fames and fortunes await.

So we take our photos, paint our paintings, weave our willow, sculpt our clay or croon our tunes. We study, we practice, we have friends and family who tell us how talented we are. And periodically we even have a few people part with their own hard won cash to buy the product of our skills.

Surely, then, it is only a matter of time before the breakthrough happens – we will achieve a wide enough recognition that enough people will want to pay us enough money such that we can afford a good enough life, or at least sufficiently survive.

And yet somehow it never quite materialises.

Surely then, this must mean we are not as good as we thought we were.

Or...

We expand our narrative to include the ones that tell us it doesn't matter how talented we are, we'll never be a success if no one has heard of us. Marketing, publicity, getting our name out there for more people to recognise our awesomeness is what's required.

And aren't we extraordinarily fortunate that we live in a time of the world wide web, and social media.

Prior to this era, fame and fortune were only open to people who were found and nurtured by the gatekeepers. These were other people who got to decide whether we were worthy enough for the world to see us.

But now we can bypass them. There are countless examples of people who achieved their recognition on a global scale with nothing more than a fraction of a modicum of talent, and a Facebook account.

So we invest time and energy into creating a Facebook account, posting content, and trying to build a following.

And yet somehow it never quite materialises.

Oh, but, ah, but... if it's a visual medium we work in, then Instagram is the place where even those with a fraction of a fraction of a modicum of talent are achieving global recognition. Just think how many accounts we can find that have hundreds of thousands of followers and all they do is post selfies and motivational quotes they've stolen?

So we invest time and energy into creating an Instagram account, posting content, and trying to build a following.

And yet somehow it never quite materialises.

Oh, but, ah, but... you need a blog! Every article to be found online about how to promote ourselves online talks about having a blog. You could be an INFLUENCER!!!

But I've already got one of those and have been producing content for almost 16 years and have fewer followers than ever.

Oh, but, ah, but... a YouTube Channel is essential!

I upload my podcasts to it every week to the sound of tumble weeds rolling past.

Oh, but, ah, but... if you deal with other businesses then LinkedIn...

Got one.

Oh, but, ah, but... Twitter is really the place to be...

Really?

Oh, but, ah, but... TikTok! It's taking the world by storm don't you know?

Fuck off.

OK, forget social media – there are fortunes to be made in crypto-currencies...

At this point I should probably disconnect myself from the Internet and see if I can get a job stacking shelves in a warehouse somewhere.

But Kim, I hear you cry, what a waste of your talents that would be! Show us another photo...


Meanwhile, enjoy episode 64 below which has nothing to do with the above blog post and is nothing like as depressing. In fact, it even includes the wonderful mug I got from my daughter for Father's Day.

---

0:00 - Welcome, what's coming up, greetings and comments
3:22 - Warning: may start talking about photography...
04:07 - Moniaive Comic Festival 2018
13:38 - The editing sequence for the main publicity photo
26:17 - Introduction to the Critique section of the podcast
29:27 - Critique of images submitted to the Facebook Group, "Understanding Photography with Kim Ayres"
1:03:08 - Using Photoshop's Sky Replacement tool
1:12:48 - Coming up next week
1:17:00 - End

If you found this interesting/useful/entertaining, then please consider supporting these podcasts and blog posts via buymeacoffee.com/kimayres

Also consider subscribing to my YouTube channel - https://www.youtube.com/kimayres – to help me build the numbers.

And, or course, if you would like to submit a photo for feedback, or just ask a photography related question, then do join my Understanding Photography with Kim Ayres Facebook group and I will put it into the following podcast:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/240842990388815/

6 comments

Keith W said...

Kim, I'm not sure what metrics you can use to measure success, but until Covid-19 reared its ugly head, I suspect that you were one of the busiest (most successful?) photographers in the South of Scotland. You were the "go to guy" for so many organisations as the weekly podcasts amply demonstrate. Here we are on week 64 and you're still able to discuss "new" shoots (and I don't think you've done "Fishing Faces" and how to shoot on a boat yet!)

Social media platforms are the means by which some people engage with photography, but direct personal interaction is more powerful. A recent visit to the Wildlife Photography exhibition at the Gracefield Arts Centre confirmed this, as those present took far longer looking at each image on the wall than if they had been on a screen. The discussions around many of the images was far more meaningful than a simple "like ".

As we emerge blinking out into a new post Covid-19 world the personal interaction work will come back and that may mean your podcasts have to become fortnightly. This will be a loss to many, but it doesn't mean that you've become more or less successful. I don't always watch all of the podcasts, but I always read the blog and, without wishing to sound sycophantic, genuinely enjoy it. I don't think I am alone in this regard either.

Keep up the good work in whatever form it comes and forget about stacking shelves!

Great mug by the way. Made me splurt out my coffee with laughter when you posted it on Instagram the other day.

Kim Ayres said...

Keith - it's a great mug, isn't it :)
We'll have to wait and see whether the post-Covid world offers up any more work, but for the past year I've had very little for obvious reasons.
And as photography is not a hobby, but my primary source of income, then not being able to sufficiently capitalise on the dream of more clients and a bigger following that we are told social media will bring us, is a constant cause for concern.

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Keith W has said it all for me and more! I read this post a week or two ago and...I can relate!!

Maybe we have to talk about travels and makeup and food and romance. And cute babies. And cats.

I keep hoping someone really big and famous would discover your work and take you on.

Kim Ayres said...

Neena - I feel the same way for you with your writing and your book!
These past few weeks, particularly, I have been really feeling the inherent problem of needing to be a business person as well as an artist/creator.
There's the stuff we're good at, we enjoy doing, and wish to be paid for - and then there's all the other stuff to do with finding people who will pay us for it.
Marketing, social media, advertising, promotion, as well as admin and keeping on top of the accounts.
I'm happy being a photographer.
I'm happy being a blogger.
I'm happy being a podcaster.
I loathe being a businessman - something I have neither the skills nor desire to do, but am forced to do, however badly, because I can't afford to pay someone else to do it for me.
And because I do it badly, I will never be able to afford to pay someone else to do it for me.

Anonymous said...

From John-Paul Flintoff: Hi Kim.
Thank you so much for letting me know about this post which I really enjoyed.
I particularly like it when you get to TikTok.
And I like this bit: “a fraction of a fraction of a modicum”.
In light of everything you are saying it’s frustrating that some combination of Google and my Safari browser doesn’t allow me to login to leave this comment

Kim Ayres said...

John-Paul - thank you so much for taking the time to comment - delighted you enjoyed it, and double delighted you let me know you enjoyed it :)

All content copyright of Kim Ayres. Powered by Blogger.