The blog of photographer Kim Ayres

New Challenges... and Episode 65 of Understanding Photography with Kim Ayres

When I began the podcasts at the beginning of April last year, I thought I would give it 3 months to see how it went.

Each week I would talk about the story and decisions made behind a particular photo shoot, and then do a Critique section for people to submit their images to for feedback and advice on how to improve their photography and editing skills.

I knew if the podcasts were to continue beyond that, eventually I would run out of existing photo shoots to talk about, especially given the complexity and time taken for the kind of shoots I do – it's not like I would have a fresh one to chat about every week. However, I reckoned I had at least 9 or 10 months worth of material to discuss before I would have to worry about it.

By late autumn I could see the list dwindling, but by introducing Challenges, I was able to stretch the remaining stock much further. Because one week would be the Challenge, but the week before would be talking through the topic and things to be aware of before getting your camera out, I essentially managed to double the length of time I had before I was likely to run out.

However, we've more or less reached the point where all my best stuff has been reviewed, discussed and dissected so where to go next?

There's no doubt I was completely convinced that long before we ever reached this point, the Critique section would have grown, taken over, and completely dominated the podcasts. I mean, where else on the Internet can you get genuine, tactful, knowledgeable feedback from a professional photographer, for free, every week?

There are people out there who charge hundreds of pounds/euros/dollars to review your images and you still wouldn't get the insights I offer.

15 months on and I still have absolutely no idea why more people aren't chewing my arm off for this.

While I was making what has turned out to be completely unnecessary plans for how to deal with being deluged by Critique requests - and how I would have to select which images to review when there would be far more than I could fit into a 90 minute live, video podcast - the tumble-weeds were rolling past.

However, what has become apparent is the Challenges are always more popular than the regular podcasts, so I've decided to increase their frequency.

From now on, until another idea occurs to me, I'll be doing Challenges once a fortnight, while discussing the concepts and pitfalls of each Challenge the week before. And in those discussion weeks, I will also do Critiques.

If I have a new shoots to show off, then I can periodically slot them in. And if the Critique submissions periodically increase, then I can dedicate a complete podcast to them. But at the moment, it feels like these will be occasional, and the fortnightly Challenges are what will dominate.

So if there is a topic, subject or technique you would love to learn more about, and then be set a Challenge to attempt, then either head over to the Understanding Photography with Kim Ayres Facebook Page and let me know your suggestions, or drop them into the comments on this blog post.

Meanwhile, enjoy episode 65 below, where I talk about the inherent problems in photographing live bands in low light...

---

0:00 - Welcome, what's coming up, greetings and comments
05:20 - Photographing Live Bands on stage
18:37 - Photographing bands in local pubs/bars
35:28 - Critique of images submitted to the Facebook Group, "Understanding Photography with Kim Ayres"
1:30:18 - Challenge Suggestions Request
1:34:00 - End

If you found this interesting/useful/entertaining, then please consider supporting these podcasts and blog posts via buymeacoffee.com/kimayres

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel - https://www.youtube.com/kimayres – to be notified of new podcasts and behind-the-scenes videos.

And, or course, if you would like to submit a photo for feedback, or just ask a photography related question, then do join my Understanding Photography with Kim Ayres Facebook group and I will put it into the following podcast:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/240842990388815/

No comments

All content copyright of Kim Ayres. Powered by Blogger.