The blog of photographer Kim Ayres

Still Life - and Episode 42 of Understanding Photography with Kim Ayres

Considering most of the UK, indeed large parts of the world, are in Lockdown due to the Corona Virus Pandemic, it should be no surprise that when I asked if anyone had any suggestions for the podcast, Sandra posted in the Understanding Photography with Kim Ayres Facebook group,

"...indoor still life and close up photography. I have suggested this as I can’t really go anywhere due to the Lockdown. The knowledge and the skills discussed in the podcast could be practiced more or less straight away."

What apparently sounds like a very reasonable request, is actually a far bigger subject than you would initially think. Still Life is an entire genre of photography, like portraiture or landscape, and similarly has developed from an entire genre of art that stretches back for centuries.

As such you could spend years, or even decades, learning and perfecting the approaches and techniques.

And therefore not something that can be easily covered in a 15 minute section in the podcasts.

However, I didn't just want to say no, or ignore it, as understanding at least some of the basic concepts could be useful for anyone stuck indoors with a bit of time and imagination on their side.

Although Still Life subjects could consist of anything from screwdrivers to lipstick, I've decided to have a go at creating a photo along the lines of the more traditional approach of the painters through history.

Probably something like a fruit and bread kind of thing.

What I learn in the process I will feed back directly to the podcast followers.

I've set this for 2 weeks time.

It all seemed like a great idea last night, but in the cold light of morning I'm beginning to have serious doubts about what I've let myself in for...

---

0:00 - Welcome, what's coming up, greetings and comments
4:42 - Story behind the Mrs Green's Tea Room photo shoot at Dumfries and Galloway Aviation Museum
23:14 - Question about how much control you keep in a photo shoot
31:16 - Critique of images submitted to the Facebook Group, "Understanding Photography with Kim Ayres"
1:43:37 - Coming up next week
1:46:02 - End

If you found this interesting/useful/entertaining, then please consider supporting these podcasts and blog posts via buymeacoffee.com/kimayres

Also consider subscribing to my YouTube channel - https://www.youtube.com/kimayres – to help me build the numbers.

And, or course, if you would like to submit a photo for feedback, or just ask a photography related question, then do join my Understanding Photography with Kim Ayres  Facebook group and I will put it into the following podcast:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/240842990388815/

No comments

All content copyright of Kim Ayres. Powered by Blogger.