The blog of photographer Kim Ayres

Frank weather...

"It's so cosy," says Maggie, "when the wind and rain are lashing against the window and I can just coorie under the covers. I fall asleep much quicker."

And once again, as storm "Frank" batters our shores, I'm struck by another fundamental difference between me and my wife.

For when I hear the wild winds and torrential downpours pounding at the windows, I'm waiting for slates to come off the roof or for water to start dripping through the ceiling or run down the walls. It's anything but cosy...

However, if the roof survives, this kind of weather can bring interesting photo opportunities. Widespread flooding has been rife across Dumfries and Galloway (it seems the "200 year floods" appear to be happening every 2 or 3 years these days) and when Loch Ken bursts its banks it can sometimes make for some beautiful images, even if several houses have to be evacuated.

Although the winds were still high, the rain eased off this afternoon so I headed out with the camera.

Unfortunately my plans were scuppered when it turned out that pretty much every route I wanted to take was impassable.



Still, it became a fairly sociable occasion. At the edge of this stretch of water I chatted to a guy who says he's lived here 50 years and never seen the water so high; I met a friend who was also out with his camera; and had a discussion with a woman who was trying to get home what alternative routes might be possible.

5 comments

hope said...

I love the sound of rain on a roof...puts me to sleep too. I don't like it if it comes with wind...that's a disaster in the making. I've been on "vacation" for a week and I haven't seen anything but grey and fog. Maybe 2016 will improve. Happy New Year to you and yours.

maurcheen said...

Similar here Kim, but we're on high ground so flooding from burst banks doesn't affect us, unlike many of my friends and family. Happy new year to you, Maggie, Rogan & Meg. (Ha! Auto-correct changed 'Rogan' to 'Romantic'!)

Kim Ayres said...

Hope - Happy New Year to you too! Endless grey and rain get me down, but I do like the fog - always gives wonderful photo opportunities :)

Maurcheen - Glad you weren't affected by the flooding. Wishing you and your family all the very best for the year ahead :)

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

When the rain lashes on zinc sheet roof in Guyana, oooh, I'm nervous. It sounds as though the rain will break the glass! But other fellow citizens tell me the LOVE the sound of rain lashing down when they're at home.

Heavy rain makes me nervous because of the Big 2015 flood.

Kim Ayres said...

Guyana Gyal - I think once you've experienced something going bad with the heavy rain, it's very difficult to feel comfortable with it again

All content copyright of Kim Ayres. Powered by Blogger.