The blog of photographer Kim Ayres

Chasing Bluebells

It's mid May and the sun now doesn't set until 9pm, so an evening stroll in the woods reveals the most wonderful light. Low sun cutting through gaps in the trees highlighting patches of moss, unfurling ferns and budding leaves.


Beech leaf


Unfurling fern


Mr Snuffleupagus?

But now the bluebells are also out.

Ever since the camera became my primary creative outlet, at this time of year I've attempted to capture bluebells through the lens. They are one of my all-time favourite flowers, with a delightful scent that always takes me back to childhood. But taking a photo that captures that sense has continually eluded me.

This evening, however, I think I got as close as I ever have.





As always, click on the images for larger versions

8 comments

Yaya Snaps said...

Beautiful photos Kim...the sunlight is perfect (well certainly as close to perfect as can be gotten). The Bluebell shots are magnificent...I can smell them right through the computer :) We had a similar flower in Virginia that was called Hyacinth and the fragrance was heavenly. Have a pleasant weekend :)

Yaya Snaps said...

Now that's interesting it didn't make me prove I wasn't a robot :D

hope said...

That last shot is magical!

And thank you Theanne...I've always wondered what those flowers smell like. Next year when my hyacinths bloom I will think of Kim and you. :)

Hindsfeet said...

how very sweet, Kim......

thanks for the flowers : )

(snuffleupagus was sweet too ; ) )

sweet day over there for you,
warmest,
Liz ~*

maurcheen said...

These are so beautiful.

Kim Ayres said...

Theanne - thank you - the bluebell shots were taken in just the last few minutes before the sun disappeared behind the hill, so it was a close call :)

Hope - thank you :)

Liz - glad you like them :)

Maurcheen - thank you :)

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

I don't know how you do it, capture the cool weather, the magic and mystery of things in your photos.

Aiyyyye!

I love to watch fern grow. I have a fern plant in my kitchen in Guyana [am in Florida right now].

Kim Ayres said...

Guyana-Gyal - practice, practice, practice. It's amazing how much difference it makes. Turns out my parents were right after all ;)

Hope your fern survives your absence and that you're having a good time in Florida :)

All content copyright of Kim Ayres. Powered by Blogger.