The blog of photographer Kim Ayres

Cover Art

Prole is a magazine publishing prose and poetry, where the aim is that all submissions are high quality and accessible.

I have to confess I rather enjoy the statement on their website, “Anything that sniffs of literary elitism is highly unlikely to make it through the editorial process […] Obscure references and highly stylised structures and forms that exist only to aggrandise the writer and appeal to the coffee lounges of our older universities are not welcome.

And what I particularly like about Prole is they have used one of my images for the cover of Issue 3.



It seems they found me via our favourite Resident Alien, Mary, and after a few email exchanges we decided to go for a closely cropped, black and white version of my photo “Michelle”, which originally appeared in my Staring Back exhibition last May.

You can buy printed copies or PDF downloads of Prole.

And if you take out a subscription they like you very much.

Prole Home Page
Prole Submissions Page
.

16 comments

Sausage said...

Nice one, I hope this leads to more success. Cheers....

Ponita in Real Life said...

You're on the way to becoming famous, Kim! How fantastic to have your photos in several books now. Congratulations!

Pat said...

Cheeky beggars!
Well done! I compared it with the original and it is even more effective. That's the thing about first rate work - you can do anything with it. More or less.

Mary Witzl said...

Wow, Kim -- this news is great and that photo is fantastic!

What is really funny is that I just submitted another piece to Prole the other day and I told the editors how much I loved that particular section you've quoted. Great minds think alike, eh?

AA said...

Well done you. :)

Anonymous said...

I love your photograph. It conveys the Michelle's strength wonderfully.

Kim Ayres said...

Sausage Fingers - each new thing like this builds up the CV and potentially a larger audience, so I hope so too :)

Ponita - the journey is to become internationally renowned and sought after :)

Pat - well, the cover needed to be in black and white and in portrait format, so that helped point in the direction of how to edit it :)

Mary - thank you :) And I think that quote might have been floating in my mind after you mentioned it at the gathering the other weekend

Adila - thank you :)

Allen - thank you :) Now, when are you coming to Scotland so I can take your photo?

hope said...

Wow...can I say I knew you when after you're RICH and famous? :)

Nicely done!

litzi said...

Hi Kim,
Your star is rising; a real up and comer in the world of photography. Maybe you’re on your way to becoming another Ansel Adams…

Kudos for having one of your images selected for the cover of Prole!

Alice said...

Amazing photo, of course, but I don't know what aggrandise means, so I'm not sure if I could submit to them : )

Falak said...

Yaaayyyiiieee! Way to go Kim! Really happy for you :)

LegalMist said...

Excellent! And congratulations. :)

leothelion said...

Remarkable shot! I really like your photography.

Jayne said...

Striking work! Thank you for sharing this with the world.

1+2+2=5, 1+2+3=6: 56 said...

What an excellent picture and excellent line too.

Kim Ayres said...

Hope - if I ever become rich and famous...

Litzi - mentioning Ansel Adams is a bit like mentioning Ghandi, just because someone kept their calm in an argument - just a bit of an exaggerated comparisson. However, I appreciate your support :)

Alice - if you don't know what aggrandise means, you probably don't have to worry :)

Falak - thank you :)

LegalMist - thank you :)

Leothelion - welcome, and thank you :)

Jayne - welcome and thank you :)

56 - welcome back, and thanks :)

All content copyright of Kim Ayres. Powered by Blogger.