The blog of photographer Kim Ayres

Not Sounding Good – and Episode 21 of Understanding Photography with Kim Ayres

I'm 6 seconds into the podcast when I realise the sound level indicator isn't reacting to my voice. I'm going out live and no one can hear me.

30 seconds of frantic menu opening and clicking options in OBS – the programme I use to interface with Facebook Live – and the problem is sorted – we have sound!

1 minute later Maggie comes into the room to tell me my voice is high pitched, like a tape that's speeded up.

At this point my brain reminds me I'd had a similar problem with my microphone on a Zoom call that morning. Why it hadn't reminded me before I started a live broadcast is anyone's guess, but I will be having stern words with it later about not pulling its weight and not being a proper team player.

Another minute is passing as I do more frantic menu opening and clicking options, and now my voice is being picked up by the webcam rather than the microphone. The sound quality isn't as good and there's a definite hiss in the background, but it's better than silence, or me sounding like I've been sucking helium from a balloon.

You'll be pleased to know I've edited out 3 minutes silence, squeaky voice and furrowed brows for the recorded YouTube version below.

For the past couple of months I've been suggesting to people that if they would like to support these podcasts, then can do so by visiting buymeacoffee.com.

However after last night's fiasco I told Maggie there ought to be an alternative donation system called drownmysorrows.com

I've looked.

There isn't.

Amazingly, no one has yet even bought the domain name!

Perhaps I should get it and try a different route to global domination...

---

0:00 - False start with high squeeky voice
0:30 - What's coming up
1:33 - Introduction to Soul Soup and issues of mental health
6:50 - The idea behind the "Everyday Superheroes" image<
19:45 - Critique of images submitted to the Facebook Group, "Understanding Photography with Kim Ayres"
1:07:05 - Coming up next week



If you found this interesting/useful/entertaining, then please consider supporting these podcasts and blog posts via buymeacoffee.com/kimayres

Also consider subscribing to my YouTube channel -  https://www.youtube.com/kimayres  – to help me build the numbers.

And, or course, if you would like to submit a photo for feedback, or just ask a photography related question, then do join my Understanding Photography with Kim Ayres  Facebook group and I will put it into the following podcast:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/240842990388815/

No comments

All content copyright of Kim Ayres. Powered by Blogger.