The blog of photographer Kim Ayres

What are you interested in?

I did my first "Facebook Live" attempt this evening on my FB business page.


(This is a screenshot - scroll down for the actual video)

Even though I scripted it, and even though I never have problems talking in front of people, I found this particularly nerve-wracking.

I think it's partly because I can't see who I'm talking to. I can't tell from the expression on someone's face whether what I've just said was a bit stupid, or didn't make any sense, so I can't correct it.

Also, "live" means I can't edit it.

Sure I rehearsed it a few times, but all that went out the window the moment I clicked the live recording button. It is not polished. There are mistakes.

But it is authentic, and sometimes that can be more appealing than polished slickness.

And it was my first, so hopefully I'll improve over time.

So here it is, and for those who either have no sound, or would rather read at their own pace, I've added the script below.

But I am genuinely looking for feedback to the content - do let me know if any of my suggestions have an appeal, or if there is something you would love to ask or learn from me





Like many of the self employed in the creative arts industry, Covid 19 has pretty much killed my business and income for the foreseeable future.

The kind of photography I do cannot work with social distancing.

And with at least 2, possibly all 3 of us in our household being in higher risk groups, I can't afford to take risks to do photo shoots with people, even if there was any kind of market for it.

For us, this won't be over in 3 months. It looks like we'll be in isolation for the long haul – waiting for a vaccine, which by current estimates is at least a year away.

Like many people at the moment, my mind and emotions keep swinging wildly in different directions – from trying to find solutions, to blind panic.

However, the wisest piece of advice in almost any circumstance, is focus on the things you do have some control over, not the things you don't.

With that in mind, I'm sitting here with more than a decade's worth of professional photography knowledge and experience, which is more or less completely useless if I keep it to myself.

So I may as well share it with anyone who's interested.

Of course, I tend to do this anyway, as anyone who has ever been on one of my photo shoots, or at any of my presentations or demonstrations, will tell you.

But I'm trying to think of things that might be of interest to you.

Possibilities include:
Short, live videos showing how to compose or light people and things with your phone cameras
Revisiting some of the bigger photo shoots I've done and talk you through how I did them.
Some of those were filmed, so I could re-edit the behind-the-scenes videos to give more insight into the processes
I could do question and answer sessions on ways to get better photos with the cameras or phones you have
I could do live or recorded video interviews with other photographers I know who are experts in their fields and amazingly creative.
And of course I'm open to suggestions!

So if any of this has an appeal, please leave a comment about the kind of thing you'd like to see from me over the coming weeks and months.

Please tag or share this with any of your friends who you think might be interested, and I look forward to your feedback :)

No comments

All content copyright of Kim Ayres. Powered by Blogger.