The blog of photographer Kim Ayres

Meg is 21

OK, I'm a bit late with this, I know.

Meg's 21st birthday was LAST month, on Valentine's Day. And then last week (March 21st) was World Down Syndrome Day.

Very often I post something about my daughter on both of these days, but at the very least on one of them.

I could come up with a load of excuses, but I don't really have any, so I'll make it up to everyone who only comes to my blog to see my daughter, by posting lots of photos at the end.

As it was Meg's 21st, we felt we had to give in to her demands for a big party where she could invite lots of friends, so we hired Ringford Village Hall for the Saturday following her birthday, and the invites went out.

I got in touch with Cafe Largo, who I photographed a couple of years back (see Cafe Largo), who played live music for us, and a fun evening was had by all.


Meg with her wee nephew, Alfie


Cafe Largo


Dancing with friends

But for all the organising, hall hire, invitations, food preparation, decorations, cake baking and so on, the biggest thing me and Maggie was,

21?

How on earth can Meg be 21?

This tiny baby, an otherworldly fairy child, is now a grown woman in her 20s.

A few days before the party, Maggie and I went through the old photo albums, and then the hundreds of folders of images on the computer, to create a selection of photos of Meg across the years. These were then printed up and attached to the strings of fairy-lights decorating the hall.

All the photos before 2004 were pre-digital, so I had to take photos of the photos while they were still in the old albums. Covered in a thin film of cellophane, it was a nightmare due to the reflections, but I didn't dare remove it, because it would never have stuck back down again.

So here, for those who would wish to overdose on the specialness of Meg, here are our selection.


1998 - a few weeks after her heart operation - about 6 months old


1998


1999


2000


2000


2000


2000


2001 - she's learning to run


2003


2003


2003 - first day at school


2005 - a mermaid - and we now have a digital camera


2005


2005


2006 - at the beach in France


2007 - pirate


2008 - just before her first haircut


2008 - Meg's Summer Kitchen Exhibition


2009


2010


2010 - finishing the ice cream


2010


2010 - becoming a photographer


2012


2012


2013


2013


2014 - making a Mother's Day cake


2016


2019 - a Mocha with her Dad

8 comments

Ponita in Real Life said...

A fabulous Happy Birthday to your Meg! She's an amazing young woman and you must be so proud. Love the photos! She's beautiful.

Kim Ayres said...

Ponita - thank you - she really enjoyed her party, and yes, we're very proud of Meg :)

savannah said...

It seems as if we've all watched her grow up, sugar! WOW! 21 already! Happy Birthday again to Meg! It's always a delight to see your photos, Kim. xoxo

Kim Ayres said...

Savannah - It's coming up to 14 years since I began this blog, so Meg was only 7 years old when I first mentioned her on it. So for those like you who have been following and commenting for over a decade, then you really have been watching her grow up :)

Hindsfeet said...

What's strange, Kim, is this made me realize, I've been following your blog for 10 years.... Since Meg was 11...I remember the hair flip photo, I remember when you first posted it.... To see her growing up and realize how fast it's all gone.....

...well, thanks for the lovely share, Dear..... Really an interesting perspective tonight.....

Kim Ayres said...

Hindsfeet - There aren't that many people who are still visiting this blog after 10 years - or at least if they are, they aren't commenting. Thank you for sticking with me :)

Hindsfeet said...

Thank you too, Kim, you've been a beacon for me on this long walk home, more times than you know....

Best always, my friend,
Liz

Kim Ayres said...

Liz - it's always a delight when you comment :)

All content copyright of Kim Ayres. Powered by Blogger.