The blog of photographer Kim Ayres

John Simpson

.
"So, what do you think of the Poll Tax?"

I’m not sure whether these were his first actual words to me, but they were certainly said within 5 minutes of meeting my future father-in-law.

20 years ago I had not yet studied philosophy at degree level, I had not yet had my spiritual, political and ideological beliefs challenged and turned upside down, I had not yet run my own business and dealt with awkward customers on a daily basis. And at that point I had no idea he would be my future father-in-law.

I was nervous.

20 years ago all I knew was the fact I didn’t have much opinion about it all, was probably the wrong answer.

John Simpson had been a gunner in a Lancaster Bomber during the war. Shot down over Germany, he spent the last year of WWII in a prisoner of war camp. All this had happened when he was younger than I was, standing before him, desperately not wanting to embarrass myself in front of my new girlfriend’s dad.

But for some reason, he and his wife took a liking to me and I was accepted as part of the family.

Today we attended his funeral. His ashes will soon join with Maggie’s mother, Elsie, who died last year.



John Simpson: 13th August 1921 to 21st December 2010

The world is emptier without him
.

25 comments

AA said...

:(

mapstew said...

you all have our deepest sympathy Kim.

Falak said...

My heartfelt condolences to you and your family.

savannah said...

you, maggie and the children have our deepest condolences, kim. xoxox

Ponita in Real Life said...

My heartfelt condolences to you and your family, Kim.

I hope he passed those dimples on... xoxo

hope said...

I am so sorry...please share my condolences with Maggie.

I love that photo: he looks just like my mental picture of what WWII "heroes" look like.

V said...

Kim, my thoughts are with you and your family x

Pat said...

Deepest sympathy Kim to you and Maggie. What a sad time you have been having. I hope the New Year will bring happier times for you both.
May John rest in peace.

Mary Witzl said...

How sad, Kim. The world is an emptier place as we steadily lose members of this generation who went through so much.

But I'm glad your father-in-law passed his dimples on -- and a lot more besides.

Ron said...

I'm sorry to hear of your loss Kim. It is obvious that you cared a great deal for your father-in-law.

Alan Richardson said...

My condolences to you and especially Maggie.

Alan.

angryparsnip said...

How wonderful that you were able to know him.
My condolences to Maggie, You and your family.

gayle

Charlie said...

I agree with Hope:

...he looks just like my mental picture of what WWII "heroes" look like.

May you and Maggie remember all the good things about him.

Eryl said...

Deepest sympathy to Maggie, you, Rogan, Meg, and all your family.

I think this is one of the nicest obituaries I've ever read: in a few short lines you managed to show a complex, fascinating and completely affable man.

erika said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Kim. My thoughts are with you and Maggie.

Katie Roberts said...

Sending love to you and Maggie Kim.

debra said...

so so sorry for your loss, Kim. A lovely tribute.

LegalMist said...

I'm so sorry for your, and Maggie's... your whole family's... loss.

The Lassie & Laddie said...

I am so, so sorry for your loss! My thoughts are with you and your family.

Frankie said...

So sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you and your family...

Lynne said...

I am so sorry for your loss, you both have me deepest sympathy.

Kim Ayres said...

Thank you all for your warm comments - they are appreciated

Jayne Martin said...

What a dashing, handsome man. He looks like a matinée idol in that photo. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Stella said...

I am so sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

He looks like a star from Hollywood's golden era in that picture.

I am truly sorry for your loss... :(

All content copyright of Kim Ayres. Powered by Blogger.