The blog of photographer Kim Ayres

Catching up...

.
Exhibition
Today I was out at the Mill on the Fleet taking down the "Staring Back" exhibition.

Comments left in the visitor's book included, "a strong argument against plastic surgery!", "powerful work with fascinating text to accompany!", and "I think you are so fantastic".

Admitedly the last one of those was from my daughter, Meg, but I think her viewpoint has a certain validity...

How successful it was in promoting my portrait photography will be discovered over the coming months, but it was a superb experience and I gained a huge amount out of it. Not least the realisation that despite the CFS, if I’m really focused and organised I can still make things happen – something to try and remember during the times when the extreme tiredness overwhelms and makes me feel it’s impossible to accomplish anything.

Almost as much as the exhibition itself, I have to say I am really pleased with the book. There is something so deeply psychologically satisfying having a book in my hands that I created myself. And it is, of course, a great memento for me in a way that a ring-binder with poly-pockets can never match.

Quite what I do with all the mounted images now is uncertain. I guess I have a ready-made exhibition available should anyone want one. Will need to think about that at some point

Talk
The talk I gave on Faces, Portraits and Photoshop last week was very well received. As well as talking about how we can change the mood of a portrait purely by how we move the light and shadows, I had the laptop rigged up to a projector to show how easily faces are manipulated in Photoshop. At one point, as I was removing some bags under the eyes, I heard a gasp of amazement, and I knew I had the audience captured.

Spring Fling
The annual open studio event across SW Scotland over the bank-holiday weekend was hectic as always, although numbers were slightly down this year compared to last. With the build up to the event taking over all thoughts for several weeks, the sudden stop inevitably feels weird, and the subsequent comedown will leave us all feeling a little emotionally wobbly for the rest of the week.

Bonus
A nice surprise bonus, however, was our friend Kerry sold a couple of framed prints of mine when she opened her house as a gallery and caf̩ over the weekend (Balmaghie Church and Rascarrel Bay Рsee 2009 in photographs)
.

17 comments

A Daft Scots Lass said...

I'd love to buy one.

Kim Ayres said...

Do send me an email if you'd like to discuss buying something :)

Pat said...

You should feel proud. All creative people need a boost from time to time and I hope you enjoy the aftermath of yours. You have done brilliantly.

Kim Ayres said...

Thanks Pat :)

Eryl said...

Bugger, I forgot to leave a comment in the book, and I went twice! Good stuff about the sales, perhaps you need Kerry as your marketing manager.

Enjoy a little break to luxuriate in your brilliance.

hope said...

I always love seeing good, talented people getting their just rewards. :)

Sit for a while and just smile. :)

mapstew said...

Well done sir, and hopefully all that exposition will turn into work (& money) deservedly coming your way in the near future! :¬)

litzi said...

Hi Kim,
Quite what I do with all the mounted images now is uncertain. Can you display them in your home as a personal reminder of an exceedingly successful weekend?

Congratulations! It sounds like all your hard work and planning was worth well it.

Alan Richardson said...

I placed an order for a book. I am glad I got to see the exhibition in situ so to say.

Alan

Charlie said...

I can understand the letdown after all the chaos and adrenalin of May. But now you have time to breathe, re-group, and think.

And I agree with Meg's comment in the visitor's book.

Kim Ayres said...

Eryl - Unless you're one of those kinds of people who actively looks out for visitor books to write in, I don't think it occurs to most people. Either that or the exhibition only received about 50 visitors in total, and I'm assured it was better attended than that :)

Hope - if it was just rewards then surely someone would have offered me a million dollar contract...

Mapstew - we can but hope :)

Litzi - there's no room on the walls in our house as any space tends to have Maggie's artwork between exhibtions and sales.

Alan - I so wish you'd told me you were going to be in the area - I'd have happily met up with you for a coffee at the Mill - they do really good coffee there in fact. I can't believe you're over from Arizona and passed within a couple of miles of my house and we didn't get the chance to say hello face to face

Charlie - aw, shucks...

Mimi and Tilly said...

Congratulations. To be honest I am in awe of your ability to put yourself and your work "out there", and am so glad that the feedback you got was so positive. I love your photography, and the ethos behind your work, and am very glad to have been able to see it via the web.

Titus said...

Kim, what about an exhibition at Thomas Tosh in Thornhill? They do very good exhibitions and also like having an artist in residence - there's an upstairs space as well. They have a website and a blog, and the man to talk to is Paul. It'd be great to see you up this end of the county!

Unknown said...

" a strong arfument against plastic surgery"... awesome comment!

Congrats on your success!

Kim Ayres said...

Emma - Thank you for your kind words :)

Titus - I've never been to Thomas Tosh - I'll investigate further, thank you :)

Brahm - thank you :)

Unknown said...

I would be in an exhausted little heap, with a Dr Pepper I.V., after so many happenings.

Very good stuff Kim.

Kim Ayres said...

It was all spread out over time, Carole, making it a bit easier to cope with :)

All content copyright of Kim Ayres. Powered by Blogger.